Below is the letter I plan on giving to my daughter's principle.
I'm such a Readers Digest kind of gal. Short and sweet. My
husband helped expound and add some key elements to
this lovely little dity.
I've agonized over this letter because I really don't want
my daughter learning that this is an okay behavior. On the
other hand I really don't want to be ugly with her educators.
Let me know what you think.
Mrs. Miller, January, 27 2009
On Thursday the 15th my Kindergartener brought home a book that greatly
appalled and disturbed me. She also informed me that this book was read to them in the
library. The book I am referencing is, "And Tango Makes Three". This book completely
contradicts the religious and moral values we are trying to instill in her and our other
children.
The content of this literature is not appropriate to be taught in school, especially
to children at such a young age. It's fine if other families want to teach their children
these ideas, however this sensitive moral teaching should be done in the appropriate
family setting. Teaching such religiously / morally questionable material as presented in
this book without the consent or knowledge of the responsible guardians at best flirts with
the violation of the rights of separation of church and state. I reserve the right as a parent
to teach my family what I view as best for them, and I expect that right to be respected.
I have enclosed a copy of some of our beliefs so that you will understand the
values that my husband and I are trying to teach to our children. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Amanda Pendley






5 comments:
Very well put. And well within your limits to say those things. A lot of times all it takes is one person. So you go girl for having the courage to do that! Let me know how it works out.
It looks good. If I were you, I might add something about how you teach your daughter to treat others with respect, regardless of their life choices- so that you don't get categorized as 'hostile' toward others. Still, they have no business bringing that into a kindergarten classroom!
that is awesome. Good for you.
Amen sista! It's nice that there ARE some responsible parents who don't put up with that garbage! you go girl!
I'll just say this: having worked in an elementary school and read many letters voicing parents' concerns, this one is spot-on as far as clarity and purpose. Usually I can't even figure out what the parent is trying to say!
Nice job.
Post a Comment