Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Tis a Gift to be Simple



So, I've had a really hard time deciding what to blog! One
reason, I think, is that I haven't felt very wordy (is that a word?).
I do however have quite a few good pictures. So as I was
thumbing through my pictures this morning(..thumbing
through pictures on the computer...huh) I decided I wanted to
share the Amish ones.
About an hour south of Nashville, is this pretty little Amish
settlement. James really wanted to take his parents down, being
as how they were here for a visit and don't get to see that sort of
thing very often. First of all let me just say that I love the Amish
(Even though they consider me a Babylonian). I think their lifestyle
is fascinating! I just read an article about the Amish and the thing
that impressed me the most was the fact that they're so family
oriented! Which is not all that common anymore.
I didn't take any pictures of the actual people. Somewhere in
my jumbled mind, I remember hearing that they feel it's a sin to
have their pictures taken. I'm pretty sure I'm not the devil, so I resisted
taking photographs of them. I did take a picture of one lady's
laundry and some horse drawn farm equipment.

Since I had only been there once before I had my mom meet us there.
(She's an Amish pro!) She took us to all the good houses and helped us
navigate. If you're picturing a settlement like M. Night Shyamalan's
"The Village", you'd be sadly mistaken! See, interspersed in the so called
Amish village are normal Babylonians...like me! Because of that you've got
to drive to get any where. By the time James and I got home the kids had
been in the car 11 hours! They did really well though. Perhaps that's because
they were all strapped in and figured there was no use in throwing a
fit? I don't know. They were great and I'm not going to argue the
point.

All in all it was a great day! I hope you had as much fun as we did
mom and dad!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

PennStateMama said...

Oh my! I think you'd be able to declare me mentally insane if I were forced to be in a car for 11 hours with my children. Are you sure you didn't pour sedatives over their breakfast cereal???

A Pendley said...

bI am looking forward to going to the "Amish" someday in the near future. My kids actually travel well in the car. We never had any problems with them when we drove 11-13 hours to Utah. However, our plane trip to Tennessee was a completely different story. So we will stay put in Tennessee until I get enough courage to fly with them again :)